How do you feel when you pay the bills? Are you excited at the prospect of checking off some items on your to do list? Are you subconsciously thanking your creditors for allowing you the opportunity to use their money for the month? Or, are you completely overwhelmed with the task? Do you procrastinate until you can procrastinate no more? Are you overwhelmed and exhausted by the time the process is over?
If you are miserable when you pay your bills, my guess is, your money is managing you. You will not have financial freedom as long as that is the case. I remember when I would pay my bills and I felt like a bird taking a bath. There was money and paper flying everywhere, not sure where it was going, but it sure was not staying in my bank account. Since then, I have put in some steps that take that feeling away. They are:
- Have a specific place you pay the bills
- Make sure you have all the items you will need to take care of everything in one sitting – If you have to get up to get something, chances are you will find another project to take your attention and the bills will not get paid.
- Clear the space - You do not want it messy, that just adds to the confusion.
- Select a day and time each week to pay your bills – If you put it on your calendar, you are more likely to keep the time carved out for that particular task. If you try to squeeze it in somewhere else, it is much less likely to happen.
- Create a checklist – This way, you make sure you take care of all the things you need to do at one time. Things like paying bills is obvious. However, something you might forget to do is transfer money to savings or donate to your favorite charity.
Hopefully some of these tips can help you create serenity while paying your bills. I know that sounds like a dream, but you hold the key to making it a reality.